Learn about the role of prehistoric lithics in archaeology, their identification, assemblage analysis and recording, interpretation, report writing and best practices in fieldwork.
Workshop Materials to Download | PDF format
- Stones Tell Stories | Lithics Archaeology Workshop Presentation (136pp) »
- Hand-outs (46pp) »
- Lithic Typological Chronology and Description Guide (2pp) »
TLS Project Templates | NEW 28-Jun-2018
Sample Report and Catalogue
- ICE & FIRE Eston Hills Project publications | report as PDF (see Appendix 3) and spreadsheet catalogue »
Suggested Reading | Lithics
- C. Butler 2005 | Prehistoric Flintwork | Stroud: Tempus, widely available from Amazon
- T. Ballin 2017 | Lithic Assemblages: A guide to processing, analysis and interpretation | BAJR Guide 49 FREE DOWNLOAD »
- L.J. Fisher 2009 | Photography for Archaeologists Part II : Artefact recording | BAJR Guide 26 FREE DOWNLOAD »
- H. Martingell & A. Saville 1988 | The Illustration of Lithic Artefacts: A Guide to Drawing Stone Tools for Specialist Reports | FREE DOWNLOAD »
- T.H. McK Clough & W.A. Cummins 1979* | Stone axe studies: archaeological, petrological, experimental and ethnographic | CBA Research Report 23 FREE DOWNLOAD »
- All BAJR Practical Guides »
* Includes Typology, materials, and distribution of flint and stone axes in Yorkshire, by T.G. Manby (pp 65-78; pp 79-81).
Suggested Reading | Prehistory
- D. Bridgland, J. Innes, A. Long & W. Mitchell 2011 | Late Quaternary Landscape Evolution of the Swale-Ure Washlands, North Yorkshire | Oxbow Books £4.95 »
- S. Carter 2017 | “Middlesbrough has no Archaeology”? The Unique Archaeology of Teesside | FREE DOWNLOAD »
- S. Carter 2017 | Mesolithic Research | TimeVista Archaeology website »
- R. Daniels 2015 | The Mesolithic in North East Yorkshire | FREE DOWNLOAD »
- J. Harding 2013 | Cult, Religion, and Pilgrimage (Thornborough) CBA Research Report 174 | Oxbow Books £25 »
- P. Rowe 2015 | Tees Archaeology Flint Fact Sheets | FREE DOWNLOAD »
- P. Rowe 2015 | Hunting the Hunter-Gatherers: Mesolithic Teesside | FREE DOWNLOAD »
- S.J. Sherlock 2012 | Late Prehistoric Settlement in the Tees Valley and North East England | Tees Archaeology monograph 5
- M.J.B. Smith 1994 | Excavated Bronze Age Burial Mounds of North-East Yorkshire | £15+P&P from the Architectural & Archaeological Society of Durham & Northumberland
- D.A. Spratt (Editor) 1993 | Prehistoric and Roman Archaeology of North-East Yorkshire | CBA Research Report 87 updated to 1990 | FREE DOWNLOAD »
- M. Waughman 2017 | Hunter-Gatherers in an Upland Landscape: The Mesolithic Period in North East Yorkshire. Yorkshire Archaeological Journal 89: 1–22 | DOI https://doi.org/10.1080/00844276.2017.1333333 »
Regional Research Frameworks
- Regional Archaeological Research and Resource Frameworks England | Multi-period, ALGAO portal to UK regional publications which give good and extensive overviews of known assets, historical context and priorities. Each includes a useful bibliography. They are a little dated, but undergoing reviews, and still extremely useful.
- North-East Regional Research Framework for the Historic Environment: Revision Project 2017-18 (NERRF II)
- Mesolithic Research and Conservation Framework for England (University of York 2014 hosted by ADS).